Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) + designPH
Simply using Passive House components does not necessarily yield a Passive House
A Passive House is far more than the sum of its parts: precise planning is required in order to ensure that the components used work together to acheive the desired result. The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) is the key design tool used when planning a Passive House and as such, serves as the basis of verification for the Passive House Standard. While there are other design tools on the market, it is the the PHPP's high level of accuracy that sets it apart: energy balances can be calculated with the PHPP to an accuracy of +/- 0.5kWh!
Based for the large part on European norms, the PHPP makes use of numerous tested and approved calculations to yield a building’s the heating, cooling and primary energy demand, as well as its tendency to overheat in the warmer months. While the PHPP was developed specifically for Passive Houses, it is a design tool that may also be used for other buildings, including retrofits of historical buildings.
Worldwide applicability, added functions, improved user-friendliness and compatibility
The new PHPP 8 includes a whole range of new and improved features such as:
• Additional climate data sets for a wide range of new locations internationally
• Validated and improved calculation algorithms for cooling and dehumidification (more information can found on Passipedia)
• Expanded input of passive cooling strategies allowing for the entry of simple extract air systems and window ventilation in addition to the night ventilation strategies already featured in previous PHPP versions. Data input options for passive cooling strategies
• Improved connectivity and accessibility via PHI's external import and export macro
• Additional PV and heat pump calculation options, making the PHPP all the more suitable for future requirements regarding building sustainability assessments.
• Revised data selection menus and improved compatibility with MAC and OpenOffice
• A new components sheet containing PHI Certified Passive House Components along with their performance data, wherein additional, non-certified components may be entered manually.
Registered PHPP users (version 2007 or newer) receive a €30 discount on the standard price (€160). All those having purchased the PHPP 7 in 2013 receive a €60 discount.
iPHA members receive a discount on the designPH plugin for Trimble Sketchup which can be purchased together with the new PHPP.
In addition to the new PHPP version, PHI has developed a Trimble Sketchup plugin tool to input building geometry into PHPP. The designPH tool allows users to model their Passive House projects in 3D. The benefits of the tool are two-fold; firstly it simplifies the process of entering data into PHPP and secondly, it provides preliminary feedback on the performance of the design within Sketchup.
designPH provides a variety of useful features including:
• The ability to work with a new or existing Sketchup model (some simplifications may be required)
• Automatic recognition of temperature zones, element types and area groups
• Schedules of areas, windows/doors and TFA components as well as recognition of external shading objects
• Rendering of heat-loss areas to indicate their area group or status
• Export geometry and shading data to PHPP via a PPP file, with conversion of elements to meaningful dimensions and quantities that can be manipulated in PHPP
• Tools to insert and edit window and door components, either with user-defined properties or from standard libraries
• Simple energy balances within the tool along with warnings as to high-levels of glazing that could lead to overheating
More information on designPH can be found on www.designph.org.
The new designPH modelling tool can be purchased through on www.passivehouse.com. iPHA members recieve discounts.
As the official Passive House energy balance and design tool, the PHPP has long formed the basis for Passive House construction. Passive House Institute (PHI), the creator and exclusive copyright holder of the PHPP, relies on its authorised PHPP resellers to distribute PHPP in its various languages across the globe. PHPP resellers.